As I stated in previous posts, I started Full Time in this business in June of 2006. According to most in my office of 160 agents, I am doing very well. I think I still have a long way to go. I want to save you from making mistakes that I've made in my first year, and thankfully "got it" after the first 3 months.
I've been very fortunate to have a slew of mega agents and collegues with my tough questions on some tough deals. I realize some agents aren't so blessed. I wasn't thrown out on the street.
Kick Start your career with these suggestions:
1. Get Educated- Learn how to prospect for FSBO's and Expired Listings. Get Listings, Work with Buyers, etc.Do what others won't. Learn all about the Legal Forms you need to complete. This is extremely important. You've worked too hard to put your license at risk.
2. Set Goals- I like to call them plans! Make them realistic with a little stretch.
3, Manage Your Time. Work on First things First. Ask yourself "Is this a pro-active income generating activity or am I just doing busy work?" Lead Generate first, then the rest!
4. Lead with Revenue- Don't spend money on gimmicky "stuff". Go out and physically get the business. There is no silver bullet to getting business. See and talk to a lot of people about what you do..and stay in touch with them consistently. Keep your budget in check. I overspent in my first few months. Don't be tempted. Just work hard using your time instead of your money. Using your time is more effective anyhow.
5. Be prepared to do a lot of heavy lifting. The heaviest piece of equipment sometimes is the phone. Just take the first step and you will overcome any fear. Doing this will lead to the next, the next and the next.
6. Ask someone for help when you don't understand something.
7. Dress for Success
8. Believe that you can!
9. Convey a confident and professional attitude at all times. Everyone is watching, so be careful what you say and do.
10. As my mother says "Keep Moving forward!"
If you are new to this business, and have questions, I may be able to help. Please call me. If I can't give the answer, I will point you to someone that can.
I'm sure that you all have other suggestions and ideas out there, please feel free to add to my list.